Thursday, March 3, 2011

Homemade Baby Food #1: Rice Cereal.

Hello Friends,
I had this dream that I would take you on my journey of making Jack's baby food, partially as a how-to for people who think it would be difficult, partially to make me feel like I am fulfilling my degree in Family and Consumer Sciences Education (this is a classroom, right?) and mostly as accountability for myself to keep it up.  I say I had a dream because as of now he hates food.  It's still a little early but he gives me hungry eyes and reaches for my food every time I eat.  I imagine we will resume this journey in a few months, but I went ahead and documented this first go-round.

I will be primarily using this cookbook, Thank you Joanna :)

Let's make some Rice Cereal!!!

First you take 1/4 cup of brown rice.  I used organic brown.

 You pulverize it in a food processor or blender for 3-5 minutes.  I tried both and the blender totally trumped.  The food processor left pieces the size of couscous, but the blender created a fluffy powder.
 Next, you bring 1 cup of water to a simmer on the stove.


When you start seeing those tiny bubbles rising around the edge of the pan you add the rice powder and reduce the heat.  You'll keep on stirring until the water is absorbed.




 I then let mine cool for a few minutes.  You can now add water, formula or breast milk to the rice goo to make the perfect consistency for your love bug.  Again, Jack hated it, even when it was mixed with "liquid gold", but I'm not giving up on this.

You can refrigerate the unmixed rice cereal for 3 days and you can freeze it for 3 months.
 Here is my little Stinky, 4 months and going strong.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Anna, I made all Jackson's own baby food too. I loved that back as well, and I still make a few things out of it. I wrote a blog post about it at http://www.moneyfamilymusings.com/2009/12/adventures-in-baby-food.html

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. I needed a way to make my own rice cereal for my son, who has an auto immune disease that makes him allergic to food. We are trialing rice and all the store bought stuff has other ingredients in it. Your instructions helped me so much! I linked back to you on my blog when I wrote about making my own rice cereal! Thanks again!
    www.eosinowhat.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I've been looking all over for a good tutorial! Thanks

    ReplyDelete