Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Baby Food #2: Sweet Potatoes.

Alright gang, this is attempt #2 at finding something Jack likes to eat besides "Momma Milk".  I bought some barley to mill, but decided to skip right to sweet potatoes.  He hated the avocado I mashed up.  He gaged at the rice cereal.  But I just had a feeling sweet potatoes would be a hit!  There are many different ways to cook the sw. pot.: "steam" boiling, microwaving, but I am choosing to do the baking method.

Here we go...

Sweet Potato Puree:


Preheat your oven to 425.


Prick your sweet potato with a fork and place it on a baking sheet.


Bake for about an hour, until the potato is mushy.


After it has cooled, split it down the middle lengthwise.


Scoop out the mush and put it in your baby food mill, blender or food processors.  I have a mini Cuisinart and it's perfect for doing something that isn't a single serving.  I have a hand mill for other things.




Once it is pureed take out a portion and thin with water, breast milk, or formula.  I think Jack did not like that the avocado tasted like my milk, so I have switched to Nursery Water.


And he.....


 Likes it!!!!



 It's cool to have sweet potatoes up your nose...every one is doing it.


***Store in the fridge for 3 day in an airtight container or in the freezer for 3 months.

1 comment:

  1. This is remarkable. Your Homemade baby foods recipe is going to be a big help for first time moms. I can see that your recipe is very healthy and safe for babies.

    ReplyDelete