Monday, April 25, 2011

Homemade Baby Food #4: Butternut Squash {Mommy Monday}



So I am going to try something new.  I am try to put some kind of theme with each day, however, I am not a daily blogger.  So this may flop or be a once a month kind of thing, but I know that some of you reading aren't really all that interested in making baby food but more in the happenings of my precious boy.  And some of you don't have a clue who I or my family is and are interested in the crafts, food and home keeping.  I think this would be a good thing...if I can keep it up. :)  So, to kick off Mommy Monday, here is butternut squash for your babe.

Butternut Squash:



Preheat your oven to 350.

You will need to slice the squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  I use my cookie scoop because it makes clean edges and it's relatively mess-free.


Place your squash face down in a roasting pan and add water until it covers about half of the squash.  Put in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.  Let cool completely, unless you like for your finger tips to feel like they are on fire.


I forgot to take pictures of these next few steps, but they are exactly the same as the sweet potatoes and sweet peas.  You scrape the flesh from the skins.  They should peel off fairly easily.  Then place the meat in the blender and add some of the water from the pan to thin the mixture so you can blend it to a puree.

I will (at some point) show you my process for freezing.  And you will see how incredibly simple it is. :)

Here is my frozen butternut squash puree.  One squash filled 3 ice cube trays.  I shall break down the price comparison:  I Butternut Squash about $1.29 and I think the average one is about 1 1/2 lbs, which 36 ice cubes (plus some)  vs  1 small jar of baby butternut squash at around $0.50, depending on the brand, store, and size.  I give Jack 2 cubes of squash and mix it with rice cereal and water.  Just to put it into perspective.


Happy Pureeing!

1 comment:

  1. I loved making baby food for Belle when she was younger. Peaches were my favorite and I could be caught thawing some to put over my ice cream from time to time.

    ReplyDelete