Monday, May 9, 2011

Chalkboard Paint + Refrigerator {Mommy Monday}



So, I had been thinking about this project since we moved in and I finally was able to pull it off!  I love crafts and painting, that was the only downside to being pregnant, was I couldn't paint my house or do crafts that involve that beautiful smelling paint.  Anyway, I will show you how to transform your refrigerator into a play space for your kiddos or a message board.  I have so many more ideas for this stuff!

Our fridge is stainless on the front and so the sides are magnetic.  One side is exposed for all of the world to see and it is usually cluttered with mail.  This was very refreshing to clean it off for step #1.  

#1  Remove everything...and I mean everything.  Then wipe it down completely, try to use a cloth that won't leave fibers behind.
I bought this 1qt can of Rust-oleum Chalkboard paint and used a brush we had lying around.  I would recommend using a rolling brush instead.  In fact the box recommends that, but I didn't have one and I was motivated to get this done.
#2  Put down newspaper so you do not drip onto your kitchen floor.
#3  Paint on a coat and allow to dry before you apply the second.  I believe I applied 3 coats.
#4  You have to let it sit for a very long time, I think it was days.  I went out of town for the birth of my niece and when I got back it was ready.

#5  When it has dried sufficiently (Please do not just take my advice, read the box) you need to "season" your new chalkboard.  If you don't know what that means, I guarantee you it was probably a game you played if you were ever hanging out after school in a classroom unsupervised.  You take the chalk on its side and rub it all over the surface.  This allows a small layer of chalk to be left behind after you wipe most of it off, so you can erase easily.
#6  Use to your heart's content!  This is a picture I took with my phone when my son was dealing with a virus and an ear infection.  I wrote his meds and times he took them on the fridge so I could keep up with  them.  

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I just painted mine this week but am having a hard time keeping it clean, after seasoning I may have left the chalk on too long before wiping off. My black fridge is now nearly streaked gray no matter how much I clean! I'm honestly thinking of painting another coat! Any advice??

    ReplyDelete