Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Baby Food #7: Apples & Pears {Mommy Monday}




This is actually something that you should make at the very beginning.  I have had these recipes documented ever since I made them, I just wasn't thinking or I would have put these first.  Anyway, the apple and the pear are the most gentle for your baby's belly.  They do tend to have opposite effects on their digestive system.  Pears ease constipation, so if your baby is a little stopped up...give him some pears.  Apples on the other hand, can stop them up.  Oh the joys. 

Apples & Pears:

The directions for cooking these are the same.  I will demonstrate with the apples, but know that pears are no different.

First thing, you wash,quarter and core your apples.

I used a bag of organic apples.  I know that organic means no pesticides, but these were so spotted I had to use the whole bag to get enough.  Choose your battles.

My handsome kitchen helper.

You put the apple quarters in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water.

Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook until the apples are soft, around 15 minutes.

When finished cooking, allow to cool completely.  

After this step you allow them to cook and you scrape the flesh from the skin and puree until smooth.  If it is too think, add water until you reach the desired consistency.

Refrigerate for 3 days or freeze for 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment